Monday, December 14, 2015

OK, Here We Go!

It’s less than a week before our departure to West Africa, so Chris asked students, “What is the first thing that you think of when I ask you about the trip to Ghana?”  For better or worse, here are the unedited responses:
“Feel very unprepared to go because I’m too busy worrying about finals. Haven’t packed anything, worried I’ll forget something.”
“Excited to diversify my pallet, but I will miss Pizza Hut.”
“So terrified to shit myself with out running water nearby.”
“Africa - by Toto”
“I hope I find some legit 70s, 80s, and 90s tee-shirts.”
 “I feel a little unprepared clothing wise.” “I’m afraid of how much I’m going to have to poop.”
“I’m not afraid of the country or the people I’m going to meet. I’m not that nervous honestly, mostly excited.”
“I’m not ready.”
“What if I don’t see anything.”
“I can’t believe I’m going to miss all of my winter break and come back immediately starting my final semester at Iowa State.”
“I’m going to burn, loose something, forget something, get lost, get sick, and watch Star Wars… hopefully”
“I’m more nervous than I think I should be.”
“Looking forward to trying new food!”
“I am really excited to go and experience a different culture, but I am afraid I am going to get the shits and get sick.”
“I’m really excited. The more we’ve been preparing, the more I’m ready to go, just gotta get through this week first. I’m ready to see their lifestyles, taste their food, and enjoy the experience given to us.”
“Will I have enough clothes to last 3 weeks?”
“Nervous but excited, it hasn’t sunken in yet that I am even going.”
“Is my card going to work for money?”
“Nervous about the crowds and navigating around the cities and getting lost.”
“I am both excited and nervous about the trip. I am nervous because it is my first time traveling to a foreign country and a little bit nervous on the bathroom situation. New experiences. I am excited to get to know more about the materials we used that they use to make outfits, jewelry, and so much more. I am nervous about bargaining for prices when buying stuff. Overall I think it will be a good experience.”

It’s natural to have a little case of the jitters before an epic journey, but rest assured it will prove to be an adventure worth taking. Chris and I are already proud of everyone for giving up their cozy holidays at home in exchange for an opportunity to challenge their minds and expand their horizons. Check back to see if anyone’s fears come to pass or if they become buried and forgotten, perhaps pushed aside by a positive or potentially transformative experience.  
- Tammi  (Co-Program Director)

No comments:

Post a Comment