Friday, January 1, 2016

Dec. 24

We awoke on the morning of Christmas Eve to discover over breakfast that Chris had succumbed to “Cheetah Fever” in the night. Thankfully, by the time we were ready to depart upon the long ride up to Mole (mo-lay, phonetically), most of the spots had vanished and he was ready to travel.

We stopped in Techimon (Tech-ee-mon) to explore their market on the way up, as well as to supply ourselves with snacks for the three day stopover in Mole; there would be chances to purchase things there, but as a tourist locale the prices would be steeper. The markets here are a wonderful mass of organized chaos- the air is filled with innumerable smells and sounds as cars honk up and down the streets, while the vendors all try and attract your attention so they can sell you their wares. Fearing getting lost in the melee, I stuck to the main streets for most of the stop.

Unfortunately, after only a short time back on the road, I discovered to my dismay that the “cheetah fever” that had assaulted Chris in the night had now come for me. The bus made an emergency stop so that I could hustle off, tail literally between my legs as spots sprouted everywhere. A desire to run free and stalk prey filled my mind, but I managed to subdue the desire by keeping my head down and eyes closed for the majority of the trip, looking up now and then to snap a picture (Don’t worry Dad, I’m still your son :P)

Finally, after an exhausting 9 hour drive, we reached Mole National Park, an immense elephant reserve in the northern part of Ghana. By then my tail had disappeared, though I still had many spots, which kept me from enjoying dinner to its fullest. There is a lookout post near the bungalows with a view of the reserve that is almost beyond words in its beauty. Tomorrow we will go on safari and hope to encounter these wonderful beasts. Hopefully, my spots will be gone by then!

-Aaron Nostwich 

Today is Christmas Eve and we have a nine hour bus ride to Mole National Park. The park is a wildlife reserve and we will be exploring the land and wildlife by going on a walking and canoe safari as well as visiting a small village to learn about shea butter. I hope to see elephants on these safaris! I will keep this exciting adventure in my mind while I endure this long dreadful bus ride.

About four or five hours into our bus ride we end up stopping at a small town with a busy market. We were given an hour and half to “find lunch”, which more than likely will be fan ice (ice cream). Walking through the sidewalks and finding your way around the maze of the market is an adventure all its self. Its intense, exciting, nerve racking and wild. Different smells come and go just as the people do. Paying attention to your surroundings and communication is key within the market place.
An hour and a half goes by and everyone is back at the bus. Everyone with their favorite flavor of fan ice.

Nine hours slowly goes by but we reach our destination. The Mole National Park is a beautiful and wondrous place. Looking out onto the savanna near my room, baboons, elephants, various birds and antelope scatter the landscape. I feel like Alice when she falls into wonderland. I cant wait to see what the safari brings tomorrow!

Merry Christmas to the fam!


Korey Schepers






No comments:

Post a Comment